Avoid Vacation Rental Scams
While every property listed
with us has undergone a strict and thorough screening process, we cannot guarantee that
our directory is 100% scam-free.
To check the legitimacy of a vacation rental property before making a payment we recommend
you to do ALL of the following:
- DO NOT WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service -
based on our experience, anyone who asks you to do so is very likely to be a scammer.
- ALWAYS SPEAK TO THE OWNER ON THE TELEPHONE
- Call-up the number of the owner provided in the e-mail we send you after each booking
inquiry you make.
- Test the owner by asking in-depth questions about the rental and compare the his
answers to the listing (e.g. "how far is it from ...?" or "how is the kitchen equipped?")
- If you keep on getting an answering machine: ask for the owner to call you back
and say you will not pay until you speak to him.
- If for whatever reason, you do not feel comfortable with the owner, do not make
- TAKE TRAVEL INSURANCE - take an extra precaution and find out whether your travel insurance will cover your vacation rental cost
- FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN
HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security
- AVOID DEALS INVOLVING ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE"
- DOMEGOS IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments,
guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- FTC online complaint form (www.ftc.gov)
- Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov/)
- Non-emergency number for your local police department.
If you suspect that a property listed on Domegos may be part of a scam, please email
the details to:
We will immediately remove the reported property.
Be sure to include the property ID in your message.